Friday, June 24, 2011

It's a Strawberry and Rubarb Type of Day

It finally stopped raining here. So, I took the kiddos on a little drive through the country. The plan was stop at strawberry farm we had gone to last year that we had excellent luck with. The berries were big juicy and Delicious and I picked pounds of berries. It was super family friendly too. The kiddos got ride in a wagon behind a tractor and they got a kick of it. We headed out there and I didn't see the signs pointing to the farm, not a good sign. We get there and they aren't open until tomorrow (stawberries are late this year). The kiddos really wanted to get berries!




We headed out down another to road to another farm I had seen when I was driving by. Totally different place but is was good. The old farmer reminded me a little of my grandpa. I asked him if we could pick some berries, he had to think about for awhile even though the signs said "you pick" Then he pointed us over to a little patch and told the kids they could eat what ever they wanted and fill up their little pint baskets. They were kinda dirty and really seedy...nothing a little washing can't fix. Reminds of the way the berries were when I picked em out the garden as a kid. He just charged us a buck and they kids had a good time. Plus I found some Rubarb at a little roadside stand. I love rubarb...but have never cooked it. It was easy and I even froze some for later.

Rubarb Bars

And Since I am into cooking once cleaning once I was also buzy in the kitchen making fruit salad out of the berries, banana bread for all my quests coming this weekend and some cheese dip to go with tacos tonight.

Cheese dip is super easy and really good! Velveeta cubed with Rotel tomatoes with chiles. Crock Pot on low for a few hours.....yummy cheesy goodness


While I was out my car magically veered to a garage sale and a tent sale at gold n country gifts. I got all these super cute vintage Barbie and Skipper Patterns for a quarter! Not sure if I have the skills to make any of them.....but I couldn't resist. I also got a bag full of vintage bias tape and zig zag that I want to use for pillowcase dresses.




The kids are napping....better get my mess of kitchen cleaned up before they wake up!

No comments:

Post a Comment